Active transportation has been positively linked to mental health. Getting exercise and being outside can do wonders to help heal the winter blues. Studies have found that people tend to gain 7 – 10 pounds during the holiday season. We tend to spend more time indoors and move less during this time of year. Enter Relay….Riding a bike during the winter not only burns calories, it keeps you in a healthy mindset. Riding a bike is healthy, affordable, and low impact exercise. If you need a little encouragement to tackle the cooler temperatures, here are a few of the benefits of cycling in the winter….keep these in mind while you bundle up.
Benefits of Winter Cycling
- Cycling increases stamina, strength, and aerobic fitness. Cycling is mainly an aerobic activity, which means that your heart, blood vessels, and lungs all get a workout. You will breathe deeper, perspire and experience increased body temperature, which will improve your overall fitness level.
- As a mode of transport, cycling helps you combat a sedentary lifestyle.
- Coasting down Atlanta’s’ hills is exciting and fun.
- Additional health benefits of regular cycling include: Improved joint mobility, decreased stress levels, improved posture and coordination, strengthened bones, decreased body fat levels, prevention or management of disease and reduced anxiety and depression.
Proper motivation goes a long way. Below are a few Winter riding tips you can utilize to create positive memories on two wheels this season.
Winter Riding Tips
- Layer Up
To stay warm during a winter ride, think in terms of your head, hands, feet, and torso. Most of your body heat escapes through your head, so using a balaclava under your helmet will help keep you warm. Remember to wear layers you can remove as you warm up. Wool is always a great option.
- Ride with a Group of Friends
When it’s cold outside, we recommend riding with friends. You’ll be smiling and laughing too much to notice the nip in the air. Also, the sun sets earlier and there’s safety in numbers. Create memories and have great conversation while shielding each other from the wind!
- Be Bright
Relay Bikes have front and rear lights that automatically run when you’re riding, so no need to remember your lights. We do recommend wearing brightly colored clothing which will significantly boost your visibility.
Thanks for riding Relay Bike Share. When you’re on your Winter ride please tag us in your adventure, #RelayATL.